Harry's Story.
Harry was born in Crewe, Cheshire in 1888. He lived with his father John, a post office clerk, and his mother Jane at 14 Stalybridge Road. He had 4 brothers - Frank, Arthur, Fred and Clifford and a sister Jessie. By 1911 they were living at 196 Ruskin Road, Crewe. He was now a clerk in the education office. He married May Catterall in 1911 and they had 3 children, Reginald, Clifford and Norman.
Harry enlisted in Crewe. He was killed in action on the 26th August 1918. He is buried at Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Dept De La Somme, France. I B6.
The Battalion war diary for that day:
At 6am the attack commenced. 13th Battalion were in front, supported by the 14th on the left and the 16th on the right. The attack went well until the 13th Battalion lost direction.
Heavy machine gun fire was brought to bear on the battalion and both flanks were exposed. B Company moved forward and drove the enemy out of Bazentin-Le-Grand and followed them up the road to the crossroads, but were forced back to Bazentin.
Two platoons of C Company were sent out to capture a strongpoint which was holding up the advance. They surrounded the position and took it, capturing 2 machine guns and 30 prisoners, including two officers.
Researcher: Darryl Porrino (Facebook: Northwalespal).
Harry's name appears on a plaque at the Heritage Centre in Crewe. The plaque was originally installed at the Wedgwood Methodist Chapel in Heath Street, Crewe, but after the closure of the church in 1969, it was misplaced. It was re-discovered in 2004, and transferred to Hightown Methodist Church where it was kept until 2010. It was then placed in the Heritage Centre, where it was still on display in July 2025.

Harry's name appears on a plaque at the Heritage Centre in Crewe. The plaque was originally installed at the Wedgwood Methodist Chapel in Heath Street, Crewe, but after the closure of the church in 1969, it was misplaced. It was re-discovered in 2004, and transferred to Hightown Methodist Church where it was kept until 2010. It was then placed in the Heritage Centre, where it was still on display in July 2025.






